Two Reappraising Church groups campaign against Anglican Covenant

Posted by Kendall Harmon

In November, the Church of England's General Synod will be asked to approve the covenant.

"Many synod members do not realize it, but it could be the biggest change to the church since the Reformation," said an Oct. 28 press release from Inclusive Church and Modern Church, ahead of a campaign launch Oct. 29 when full-page ads will appear in both the Church of England Newspaper and the Church Times.

The campaign "will continue during the weeks leading up to the General Synod debate," scheduled for Nov. 24, "and if the [covenant] is not rejected, but referred to the dioceses, it will continue throughout 2011," the release said.

Read it all.

Filed under: * Anglican - EpiscopalAnglican CovenantAnglican ProvincesChurch of England (CoE)

6 Comments
Posted October 28, 2010 at 12:30 pm [Printer Friendly] [Print w/ comments]



1. Jon wrote:

Anglicans traditionally value the role of reason and thus expect to learn from other people. We have therefore been better at staying united because we have debated our disagreements openly within the church, without threatening schism, until such time as consensus is reached,” the ad says. “The way to keep united is to insist, as the Church of England has normally done, that differences of opinion may be freely and openly debated within the church, in the interests of seeking truth, without invoking power games or threats of schism.

Yawn.  I am so tired of the reappraiser tactic of redefining the problem by changing the language used to describe it.  They did this with the word Inclusion eight years ago, and now it’s what everyone uses, even their critics, use to refer to their agenda—when in fact nobody (not Kendall, Bob Duncan, etc.) was arguing that gay people shouldn’t be included in the church.  (“Welcoming” is another word they’ve done that with.) 

The quote above is the same tactic.  No orthodox voice is saying that reappraising ideas can’t be talked about.  Talk all you want.  Have conferences, have debates, write essays, post articles on the web—whatever.  The issue is not Talking—but formally changing church teaching, taking specific ecclesial actions involving the ordination of bishops, and formally blessing SSUs in contravention of resolutions overwhelmingly adopted at Lambeth.

October 28, 2:59 pm | [comment link]
2. Wilf wrote:

12% of the Modern Church People’s Union clergy believe in the resurrection
6% believe in the uniqueness of Christ
39% believe in God the Father
17% believe in the virgin birth
38% believe that Christ died to take away the sins of the world
(all numbers are for MCPU clergy)
source: http://www.trushare.com/87AUG02/AU02MIND.htm

October 28, 3:28 pm | [comment link]
3. Northwest Bob wrote:

#2. So then, at least 60% of MCPU clergy, maybe more, are not Christians.  If you don’t believe that Christ die for your sins, then by definition you are not a Christian.
Ugh!
NW Bob

October 28, 5:02 pm | [comment link]
4. Anthony in TX wrote:

Wilf and NW Bob (2&3),

“12% of the Modern Church People’s Union clergy believe in the resurrection”

What a sad state.  If the above statistic is correct, I’d say 88% are not Christian.


“Now if Christ is preached as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?  But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised; if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain.  We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because we testified of God that he raised Christ, whom he did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised.  For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised.  If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins.” 1 Cor 15:12-17 (RSV)

October 28, 5:29 pm | [comment link]
5. Northwest Bob wrote:

Anthony:
Excellent post and scripture reference.  I agree with you and stand corrected.  You scripture post leaves no doubt.  Seems to me I have read some prominent TEc clerics who also doubt the reserection.  I guess we can draw the same conclusion.  Double ugh!
YIC,
NW Bob

October 28, 8:24 pm | [comment link]
6. dwstroudmd+ wrote:

Like these groups, they mean!  Change you can believe in, theirs!  Not the Covenant, Dis forfend!

October 29, 1:03 am | [comment link]
Registered members must log in to comment.




Next entry (above): Priest’s abortion lecture at SMU draws Dallas bishop’s attention

Previous entry (below): Notable and Quotable

Return to blog homepage

Return to Mobile view (headlines)