Toronto Star: Canadian gay marriage vote blow to U.S. Anglicans

Posted by Kendall Harmon

Canadian Anglicans further isolated the U.S. wing of the church with their narrow weekend vote against allowing church blessing of same-sex unions.

But those within the U.S. branch of Anglicanism – known here as the Episcopal Church – pointed to the slim margin of the Canadian vote as a sign that the two churches are not that far apart.

"Naturally I'm disappointed," said Rev. Susan Russell, the California-based president of the U.S. branch of Integrity, which advocates on behalf of gays and lesbians in the Episcopal Church.

"The fallout will not only be for the faithful gays and lesbians in the United States, but all ministries of the church because it will only further drag out this issue to the detriment of larger questions which should be dealt with."

Read it all.

Filed under: * Anglican - EpiscopalAnglican ProvincesAnglican Church of CanadaCanadian General Synod 2007Episcopal Church (TEC)Sexuality Debate (in Anglican Communion)Same-sex blessings

11 Comments
Posted June 27, 2007 at 2:31 pm [Printer Friendly] [Print w/ comments]



1. chips wrote:

A one sided article.  “Some conservative Anglican leaders ......Sept 30 ” should read the “Anglican Primates unanimously set….”  I think our friends here should light up the Authors email - a button is provided to do so.

June 27, 2:43 pm | [comment link]
2. Enda wrote:

What larger questions are we not dealing with?  Constantly and insessantly the drum beat goes on to get us off the issue and on to the “real issues.”  We don’t need to talk about other things.  We need to teach the Faith.  And help those intrinsically disordered about this and other pastoral needs to get help in Christ, Jesus.  Susan, Susan, you are distracted by so many things!

June 27, 3:51 pm | [comment link]
3. midwestnorwegian wrote:

comment deleted. elves say: keep it clean folks.

June 27, 3:58 pm | [comment link]
4. Rolling Eyes wrote:

Susan mentions “faithful gays and lesbians”. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the problem has never been with “faithful” homosexuals in the Church who hold true to Her teachings.  The issue is with blessing, condoning, and celebrating what the Church teaches, and has always taught, is sin.

Once again, Susan just can’t let the truth speak for itself.  She has to lie.

June 27, 4:05 pm | [comment link]
5. TonyinCNY wrote:

Oh, yes, those larger issues.  Maybe for the sake of worldwide Christianity the gays can take the spotlight off themselves and their issues for those larger issues.  It hasn’t happened in 40 years, but we can hope.

June 27, 4:21 pm | [comment link]
6. Connecticutian wrote:

Perhaps, in some small way, Susan and others are experiencing the fact that the actions of one province do actually matter to the rest of the Communion.  “We’re only making decisions for our own church, not anybody else” doesn’t fit quite as well as it did in the wake of +VGR’s election.

June 27, 5:18 pm | [comment link]
7. dwstroudmd+ wrote:

Connecticutican, I hope Susan and others realise what you say, but the pretense that “Canada is so close” makes me suspect that the message is lost upon the true new thang believers.  And, clearly the author of the article understands that actions in one Province do have sequelae and effects in other Provinces whether or not Susan et alia do or not.

June 27, 6:28 pm | [comment link]
8. Barry wrote:

COMMUNIQUE FROM THE HOUSE OF BISHOPS OF THE PROVINCE OF THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF RWANDA

In response to the invitation of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend Honourable Rowan Williams, inviting the bishops to the Lambeth Conference 2008, the House of Bishops of the Episcopal Church of Rwanda, who met in Kigali on 19 June 2007, resolved not to attend the Lambeth Conference for the following reasons:

Read it here>  http://aacblog.classicalanglican.net/

So much for Susie Q!
Adios Rowan! Now you’ve done it!

May the faithful praise the Lord for the time is come when men must choose whom they will serve.

1 Peter 4:1-6
Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.

2 As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.

3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do β€” living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.

4 They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you.

5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to men in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.
NIV

Peace,
Barry

June 27, 9:55 pm | [comment link]
9. Tom Roberts wrote:

This article was a “sky is falling” story by the Toronto [Red] Star to call the liberal faith aux barricades!

June 27, 10:24 pm | [comment link]
10. Tom Roberts wrote:

faithful… oops

June 27, 10:25 pm | [comment link]
11. midwestnorwegian wrote:

My apologies.  I am glad the elves are there grin

Thank you

thanks for the apology, and for the affirmation. ‘tis appreciated

June 28, 10:45 am | [comment link]
Registered members must log in to comment.




Next entry (above): Province 3 President: Pittsburgh Diocese May Not Opt Out

Previous entry (below): White House, Cheney’s Office, Subpoenaed

Return to blog homepage

Return to Mobile view (headlines)