RECENT COMMENTS

By Katherine on August 29, 2014 at 3:57 pm [comment link]
From the entry: More alarming Ebola headlines

An ebola case arrives in Dakar, Senegal.

By Jim the Puritan on August 29, 2014 at 3:43 pm [comment link]
From the entry: [Christianity Today] "The Wrong Kind of Christian"

This has been a coordinated effort across the U.S., pushed by homosexual advocacy pressure groups.  The Christian students group at my college was forced to rescind their standards for leadership.  Christian presence was weak to start with, but now it is pretty much non-existent.

By Jill Woodliff on August 29, 2014 at 8:40 am [comment link]
From the entry: More alarming Ebola headlines

Prayers, new and old.

By Katherine on August 28, 2014 at 3:10 pm [comment link]
From the entry: More alarming Ebola headlines

The reported numbers are probably low.  India is taking aggressive measures to check incoming passengers who have been in Africa.  Nigeria appears to be doing a good job of containment.  For the people in the three countries presently afflicted there seems to be little we can do but pray.

GlaxoSmithKline will begin human trials of a vaccine next week, in conjunction with the NIH.

By Luke on August 28, 2014 at 12:17 pm [comment link]
From the entry: [AAC - Bishop Bill Atwood] The Gospel is Under Assault

Sent this to our rector/priest, now on vacation; he in turn has sent it to his huge mailing list.

Our Bishop +Bill Atwood speaks wisely and well.

By Catholic Mom on August 28, 2014 at 9:36 am [comment link]
From the entry: Summer Open Thread #6: What are you grateful to God for?

I’m with Marie.  Reminds me of an essay my older son was supposed to write in CCD when he was in fourth grade: “What are you thankful for?”  He wrote “I am thankful for everything” and handed it in.

But I can never be thankful for one thing without being thankful for everything.  I’m thankful for the cold Pepsi in my hand right now.  I’m thankful for the super duper carpet cleaner I bought yesterday that turned my brown entry hall carpet white.  I’m thankful for the beautiful breeze on this lovely 75 degree day in August (!), I’m thankful that they’re live streaming matches from the US Open tennis tournament for the next two weeks and the resolution is awesome.  I’m thankful to be alive in this most amazing and unlikely world amidst all its beauties, great and small.

And he gave us eyes to see them,
And lips that we might tell,
How great is God Almighty,
Who has made all things well.

By Dan Crawford on August 28, 2014 at 8:27 am [comment link]
From the entry: Summer Open Thread #6: What are you grateful to God for?

Life, love, family, friends, ministry, beauty, joy, sacraments, worship, the sure and certain hope, and more than anything else, the Love which is our God.

By Karen B. on August 27, 2014 at 2:35 pm [comment link]
From the entry: (BBC) Ebola outbreak: Nigeria closes all schools until October

Probably a wise decision by the Nigerian government out of an “abundance of caution.”  From what I understand, there remains only 1 active case of Ebola in Nigeria (i.e. a single patient being treated).  Something like 5 - 7 of the other cases have recovered and recently been released.  Good news!  Hopefully Nigeria will stay Ebola free for the next two to three weeks (i.e. another 21 day incubation period), meaning that the outbreak there was successfully contained and stopped.

Sobering however that there is a brand new, apparently unrelated outbreak of Ebola now in Democratic Republic of Congo:

By Scatcatpdx on August 27, 2014 at 1:48 pm [comment link]
From the entry: [Christianity Today] "The Wrong Kind of Christian"

Waht concern me more is there universities are practicing their own form of discrimination and intolerance. They are supposed to produce our future leaders.

ISIS will be the least of our worries.

By WestJ on August 27, 2014 at 12:37 pm [comment link]
From the entry: [Christianity Today] "The Wrong Kind of Christian"

I wonder if they also kicked the Muslims off campus?

By WestJ on August 27, 2014 at 12:33 pm [comment link]
From the entry: [Christianity Today] "The Wrong Kind of Christian"

It sounds like Vanderbilt will tolerate any group, so long as they don’t stand for anything. This is very disheartening as I graduated from Vanderbilt medical school and my wife is also a graduate.
I will know what to say the next time they ask for money.

By The_Elves on August 27, 2014 at 10:39 am [comment link]
From the entry: [Christianity Today] "The Wrong Kind of Christian"

[Brian, Hmmm.  I was able to read the whole article and I’m not a subscriber.  See if either of these links work any better for you?  The original link I followed from Trevin Wax’s blog  or this single page version—elf]

By Undergroundpewster on August 27, 2014 at 10:22 am [comment link]
From the entry: [AAC - Bishop Bill Atwood] The Gospel is Under Assault

oops… “their being”

By Undergroundpewster on August 27, 2014 at 10:21 am [comment link]
From the entry: [AAC - Bishop Bill Atwood] The Gospel is Under Assault

A whole lot of stuff has been added to the Anglican gumbo in some provinces. Those cultural variations in the recipe result in a new creation that can no longer be called gumbo according to this experienced gumbo taster, but there is always somebody out there who will try to peddle it as gumbo, and there will always be innocent consumers who will believe it to be gumbo and be willing to swear up and down that it is the best gumbo they have ever tasted. Such is the stuff that heresies are made of and have there being.

By BrianInDioSpfd on August 27, 2014 at 9:52 am [comment link]
From the entry: [Christianity Today] "The Wrong Kind of Christian"

It would be nice to read the whole article, but a paid subscription is required.

By Karen B. on August 27, 2014 at 9:44 am [comment link]
From the entry: Summer Open Thread #6: What are you grateful to God for?

GRACE!!!
Wonderful, faithful friends, teammates and colleagues.
A calling and vocation that is deeply fulfilling.
God’s living and active Word and His promises… the hope of glory.

By dwstroudmd+ on August 27, 2014 at 9:33 am [comment link]
From the entry: Request from the Elves--Good links re: Ferguson, MO and Michael Brown shooting?

Apples to apples, oranges to oranges?

Agitators from 5 states showed up in Ferguson.  There was so much coverage that those involved in this incident say “This is no Ferguson”!
Clearly there is a problem, but I’m not sure it follows the putative paradigm proposed as fact in the media or by the above.

By Karen B. on August 27, 2014 at 8:45 am [comment link]
From the entry: Summer Open Thread #5 -- Memorable Vacation Destinations - aka the "T19 Trip Advisor"

Back in the mid-1980s I had the chance with some friends to visit what was then still Yugoslavia, including the towns of Dubrovnik, Split & Mostar.  Dubrovnik was wonderful… the old city wall, the red tile roofs, the mountains surrounding the town, the beautiful sea, wonderful food, the narrow windy cobblestone streets.

We rented a car for a few days to drive along the coast past quaint fishing villages, and the ruins of some towns destroyed in the catastrophic 1963 Skopje earthquake.  I must have taken 10 rolls of pictures!  The most memorable spot of the whole visit I think though was the tiny town of Sveti Stefan.  It’s a five star resort, so on our student budgets we did not stay there, but I was captivated by the beauty of the town and the sea and our day there was just magical.

By IchabodKunkleberry on August 26, 2014 at 11:00 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Summer Open Thread #6: What are you grateful to God for?

Where to begin ...?
As a young person, I needlessly or unknowingly put myself into
dangerous situations, and unscathed, lived to tell the tale.

In maturity, I had a heart attack in front of a cardiologist. I woke
up in a hospital room in pain (from their medical procedures), only to
be told that I had been treated so quickly that no damage had
occurred to the heart.  Even with pain, I wept for joy and recalled
Paul’s encouragement to “Rejoice in the Lord always !”

I am grateful to God for my parents, although mom’s addiction to
cigarettes and dad’s addiction to alcohol meant they were both dead
before I turned 21. In their own imperfect way, they saw to it that
I received a good education in a Catholic school.

Now in my 60’s, what I am most grateful for is knowing that Jesus
is “the Way, the Truth, and the Life.”

By Marie Blocher on August 26, 2014 at 10:39 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Summer Open Thread #6: What are you grateful to God for?

Everything!

By Christopher Johnson on August 26, 2014 at 9:45 pm [comment link]

The Southwestern United States.  Back when I had money and wheels, I used to take a car trip through the Southwest every year and never got tired of it.  Zion National Park convinced me that cathedrals were absurd.  And there is nothing better than listening to KTNN (The Voice of the Navajo Nation) while driving through the desert.  It plays country music and all the spoken stuff is in the Navajo language.

By Undergroundpewster on August 26, 2014 at 9:35 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Summer Open Thread #6: What are you grateful to God for?

For His love.

By Katherine on August 26, 2014 at 8:59 pm [comment link]

I find that comment rather sad, William P. Sulik.  Prof. Cobb has decided the shooting was unjustified, without much further discussion, and then goes on to imply that “reports” indicate racial trouble with the Ferguson police force, thus indicting the officer as a racist without any direct evidence about him as an officer.  He cites as constructive leadership the “Moral Monday” events in North Carolina, events which look to this North Carolinian like political grandstanding with very little practical intent or effect, and brushes off evidence showing that more African-Americans voted in our May primary than similar primaries in past years despite the tightening of the early voting period which the “Moral Monday” group insist will suppress black voting.

In general this sounds like sentence first, trial later.  In Ferguson, we need to know more about what happened before passing judgment on either the young man who died or on the police officer.

Apparently Al Sharpton, with whom I seldom agree, took a risk at Michael Brown’s funeral to point out to the gathering some of the pathologies in urban black culture which often lead to tragic results.  Bill Cosby took a lot of criticism when he made similar remarks some years ago.  Perhaps some of Sharpton’s comments may make people think.

By David Keller on August 26, 2014 at 4:28 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Summer Open Thread #6: What are you grateful to God for?

St. Paul’s Church (PEARUSA) Greenville, South Carolina!!!

By Adam 12 on August 26, 2014 at 3:24 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Summer Open Thread #6: What are you grateful to God for?

I am thankful for the establishment of the Ordinariate.

By Pageantmaster ن on August 26, 2014 at 2:19 pm [comment link]

The Côte d’Azur between Monaco and Cannes in the deep South of France and a favorite place is the ancient village of Eze, perched high on the cliffs looking down at that amazing blue sea and the toy boats far below.  A good place to view it is the Golden Goat but keep an eye on your bank balance first if you want to eat there.

There are some wonderful places inland as well, but be sensible as there is more crime there now including car-jacking.  France is on its beam ends with overtaxation having killed much of the economy and business morale and public services like the police are suffering.

By William P. Sulik on August 26, 2014 at 2:13 pm [comment link]

I found the following comments from Charles E. Cobb Jr., Visiting Professor of Africana Studies at Brown University to be very insightful.  By way of background, Prof. Cobb was the field secretary for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) in Mississippi from 1962-1967; he is also the author of “On the Road to Freedom, a Guided Tour of the Civil Rights Trail” (2008).

I understand racist cops; have encountered a few myself over the years — and I have 71 years. The mostly white Ferguson police force may be racist; in the final analysis, I do not know because in this era of ever-intensifying “national security” in the name of fighting terrorism, local police forces have been armed and empowered in unprecedented ways. One result has been what I simply call swagger; a growing inclination to bully and even brutalize whenever they detect defiance. It is nonracial. We also see this with many TSA personnel in airports.

That discussion is a large one and I do not intend to pursue it here although it provides some context for what I do want to pursue. Reports have suggested a history of anti-black behavior from at least some of Ferguson’s police, and a history of tolerance of it from higher-ups in the police department and city government.

The question is why. And I raise that question in a narrow political sense as distinct from the usual accusation of racism. Let’s be blunt and basic. Ferguson is two-thirds black. Given that percentage, how is it that the 6-member city council has only one black member and the 53-member police force only has three blacks in its ranks? Who and what is at fault here?

The numbers exist to clean house; to get rid of the mayor or police commissioner or whoever the community concludes is working against its best interests. Why hasn’t that happened? If Mississippi towns and counties can now have black mayors and sheriffs, what in the world is wrong with Ferguson?

[UPDATE: Here’s an answer: Only six percent of eligible black voters voted in the last municipal election.] Rev. Al Sharpton says “America is on trial” in Ferguson. Isn’t black leadership also? What kind of black leadership exists in Ferguson that it has not managed to organize the ouster of those in local government? This is not to excuse what I consider the unjustified August 9 shooting of Michael Brown. The investigative process will perhaps provide some answers to whatever questions remain although even with the Justice Department stepping in we cannot be certain.

In any case, the leadership question will not be answered by whatever this investigation turns up. Black leadership seems to have failed. We see this kind of failure right across black communities in the United States, although the black organizing effort to defeat the challenge of tea party-backed Chris McDaniel to Thad Cochran in the Mississippi Republican Party senate primary runoff seems a notable exception.

Admittedly, this is more complicated than usually realized. In North Carolina, for example, the statewide totals show that more blacks turned out for this year’s mid-term primary than the last one. But looking at this primary county by county, according to the nonpartisan watchdog group Democracy North Carolina, black turnout decreased in 8 of the 15 counties where African Americans are over 39% of the registered voters. There is an organizing mission suggested by these numbers that black leaders need to take on that ranges from fighting voter suppression to maximizing the turnout of registered black voters.

Local leadership as we saw in the Mississippi primary is taking on this task. It is often young leadership as with Florida’s Dream Defenders or North Carolina’s Moral Mondays.

National black leadership, however, seems lax. Oh, they will show up to protest incidents of murderous horror. With militant speeches they sometimes generate momentary mobilizations. But when it comes to being insistent and consistent with their time, energy and resources on the day-to-day organizing tasks that could empower black communities, I for one, do not see them. And nowhere is this truer than in black inner city communities besieged by violence — not white police violence, not Ku Klux Klan violence, but by people of color killing people of color.

While it is true that the huge issues of economic disparity, the collapse of public education, and the congressional gridlock that has brought to a halt any meaningful effort to tackle national needs can account for some of the inattention by leaders used to asking the federal government for everything they need, Ferguson teaches a more fundamental lesson that should be paid attention to: There is power to make change if we organize to seize it.

Comments found here:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/08/19/from-charles-e-cobb-jr-on-the-challenge-of-ferguson/

By Pageantmaster ن on August 26, 2014 at 2:02 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Summer Open Thread #6: What are you grateful to God for?

I don’t think it is an easy question at all the more I think about it.  On one level, a Christian should have no trouble answering it.  On the other, how can one put it into words - it is deceptively simple?  What can one say without it being only part of the answer, or trite?

The only way I can describe it is how it affects me - every day I get up wondering what God has in store for me - who am I to meet - what good things does he have - what exciting encounters am I going to have. - will I get to know Him better?  I leap out of bed wondering: where are we going today?

I am grateful for a question and a hope.

By Jeff Walton on August 26, 2014 at 11:27 am [comment link]
From the entry: Temple of Mammon Plans for National Cathedral

The cathedral has hosted orthodox speakers for its Sunday morning faith forums (at least, under former Dean Lloyd) like N.T. Wright and Rick Warren. It would be interesting to see if they would host some sort of orthodox conference—obviously anything ACNA would be out of the question, but maybe something broader like the “When Helping Hurts” conference that Grace D.C. organizes.

By IchabodKunkleberry on August 25, 2014 at 10:13 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Father Terry Tee: Homily on Matthew 16.13-20

Yes, those who killed James Foley are cowards, and have no real
power. As for worldly power, we are reminded that it is Satan’s gift,
not God’s. Satan tempted Jesus by offering Him worldly power, with
Satan “only” requesting that Jesus fall down and worship him.

As for the City of God - men did not found it, and men shall not
destroy it.

By Scatcatpdx on August 25, 2014 at 8:51 pm [comment link]

It had to bee in 2000 got the boot thanks to the dot-bomb implosion   but I got separation bonus. I prefer the ways of the backpack and Lonely Planet Guide to tour busses and resorts. I took two months of and started in Singapore down to Borneo, back through Malaysia, into Thailand all the way up to Chang Rai, down to Bangkok, over to Cambodia. I was too tired to head over to Saigon, I head back home via Tokyo to see a few old haunts when I was in the Navy in 1984-88.

By Blue Cat Man on August 25, 2014 at 8:31 pm [comment link]

My favorite beach in the US is *not* in South Carolina despite the Myrtle Beach ads on TV. I love the Florida Panhandle especially the Fort Walton/Destin/Navarre area for it sugar white sand beaches and gorgeous turquoise water.  As a family, we went there for vacation for many years.  Loved it when I lived there and if money were sufficient I would love to go back for a vacation! The Emerald Coast is the BEST!

By Terry Tee on August 25, 2014 at 7:42 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Father Terry Tee: Homily on Matthew 16.13-20

I’m humbled.  Thanks.

By Terry Tee on August 25, 2014 at 7:41 pm [comment link]

Whoops.  For Souda Mountains read Leuka Mountains.  Sorry, elves.

By Terry Tee on August 25, 2014 at 7:40 pm [comment link]

For the last three years with clergy friends I have shared a villa for a week in the Chania region of Crete.  On one side, views across the Mediterranean and Souda Bay, the sun dancing on wave tops, the sea an impossible bluie; to the other, the snow-capped Souda Mountains.  White-washed village houses and black-robed widows; dome-topped Orthodox churches.  The sound of goat-bells chiming across the olive groves.  Friendly people.  Long meals under pergolas or loggias in village taverns.  A different pace of life.  A blessed time.

By Katherine on August 25, 2014 at 7:02 pm [comment link]

I agree.  The facts are not clear.  Right now, that’s the story:  rumors are running wild, and facts are lacking.

By Emerson Champion on August 25, 2014 at 4:50 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Temple of Mammon Plans for National Cathedral

#4—Actually, there is a link; it’s titled Host an Event at the Cathedral.

By David Keller on August 25, 2014 at 3:49 pm [comment link]

Adult vacation—Healdsburg, California where Dry Creek and the Russian River come together in the Sonoma Valley.  There are at least three Michelin strarred restaurants nearby (and others in Napa), incredible wine and an Inn/B&B called Madrona Manor which sits on a hillside about a mile from downtown (and houses a Michelin 1 star restaurant). Also, the salmon have returned to Dry Creek and come up to spawn in October.
Family vacation—Grand Canyon.  Fly into Phoenix and drive to the Grand Canyon, or drive to Flagstaff and take the train.  There are at least 5 different eco-systems on the drive up. Get a reservation at one of the hotels on the South Rim (which depending on the time of year can be IMPOSSIBLE).  On the way back spend a night (or more) at Oak Creek Canyon/Sedona. And, beliveve it or not, Disney World is still great if you know when to go and how to navagate the Disney maze.

By Pageantmaster ن on August 25, 2014 at 10:10 am [comment link]
From the entry: Marquette Magazine: Phone call home: A letter from James Foley

I too have just such a sense of sadness at this promising life cut short; but also gratitude for the life of James Foley and for the encouragement his witness, mature beyond his years, this letter so powerfully gives; as I have little doubt he now joins the souls under the altar [Rev 6:9].

Prayers for his family and friends left behind and all the others who have suffered and continue to suffer in Syria and Iraq.

By Blue Cat Man on August 25, 2014 at 5:03 am [comment link]

I would not worry about not covering this story. There are plenty of other stories that will appeal more to your target audience. It is too early really know what actually happened anyway. Keep to your standards- always!

By Katherine on August 24, 2014 at 9:36 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Temple of Mammon Plans for National Cathedral

Heavens no, #6, they wouldn’t rent to Mere Anglicanism.  Why, those people actually believe the stuff in those old books.

I have reserved my place in Charleston for January.

By David Keller on August 24, 2014 at 6:19 pm [comment link]
From the entry: A Fun Quiz: Who's Who in Church History

As Ichabods pharmacist said in the laughter post, if I knew the answered to this do you think I’d be working here?

By CSeitz-ACI on August 24, 2014 at 3:51 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Global South Announcement Regarding the Diocese of South Carolina

#13, I’m not sure what your last sentence means. Re: Global South Cairo meeting in February 2014, any archive search can help you.

By recchip on August 24, 2014 at 3:31 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Temple of Mammon Plans for National Cathedral

The Cathedral let the Muslims use space while the Islamic Center was under renovation.  That was over 20 years ago.  They would not let a 1928 Prayerbook group use the facilities.

Nothing new.

By David Wilson on August 24, 2014 at 2:53 pm [comment link]

Bishop Zavalas 5 year term as primate of the Southern Cone ends in 2015 and a new primate will be elected by their College/ House of bishops.  He is the only indigenous diocesan bishop in the Southern Cone.  The next Primate will be chosen among 1 American, 1 Canadian, and 4 Brits.  I don’t if this fact complicates the selection.  I also don’t know if Tito is eligible for a second term or not and if so may be pressured to serve again.

By Blue Cat Man on August 24, 2014 at 2:21 pm [comment link]

#10, Dr. Seitz, Do I understand correctly that this matter (allowing a Diocese to come under the GS) was discussed when Archbishop Welby was present at the meeting in Cairo,Egypt? Or am I misunderstanding what you wrote? I agree, there may be more dioceses that will need this sort of provision as the situation worsens in TEC. Anyway, the decision is going to be made by the GS…. whether anyone will get any input is a matter of conjecture.

By Blue Cat Man on August 24, 2014 at 2:15 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Temple of Mammon Plans for National Cathedral

#4, Alas, they would probably prefer to rent it out to the Muslims than a Christian group. I don’t see them allowing ACNA to rent it anytime for one of their events. The way Mere Anglicanism Conference is growing, we may need to rent out a larger space for the conference. I bet they would not rent to MA either.

By CSeitz-ACI on August 24, 2014 at 12:29 pm [comment link]

#11, as you will know, the Gafcon Primates are a subset of the larger GS. (The former has its own independent administrative wing.) ACI and TCI gathered the leaders of the GS, including +Kenya, in Toronto last year. The decision about a primatial vicar (or whatever language is chosen) will be taken, as noted above, by the GS leadership and any number of factors will come into play. All in all, a lot of careful work is represented here and SC will not be the only Diocese that in time may need to underscore their Communion association, given the direction of TEC at present.

By tjmcmahon on August 24, 2014 at 12:14 pm [comment link]

Dr. Seitz,

Someone who was mentioned as a possibility at one time was ++Tito Zavala (Southern Cone).  Do you think that the GS leadership would consider a “Gafcon” member?  In addition to demonstrating the essential doctrinal unity between GS and Gafcon, such an appointment would have the benefit of his being in a closer time zone.  It might also have the benefit of narrowing the ecclesiological distance (although I suspect this distance is more a perception of liberals in the west who are trying to exploit it than any sort of actual division between GS and the subset of Gafcon churches) between the various conservative groupings within the Anglican Communion.

That said, there are any number of GS Primates who have been quite supportive of South Carolina in particular, and of traditional Anglicans in the US generally.  So the above is just nosy conversation on my part.  I am sure that whatever determination the GS comes to, the primatial oversight of the Diocese will be a vast improvement over their previous primate.

By Karen B. on August 24, 2014 at 9:48 am [comment link]
From the entry: A Fun Quiz: Who's Who in Church History

Agreed it was a bit of an odd selection of people, but I enjoyed it.  I got 12 correct.  I had a bit of an advantage in that it was a bit heavy on missionaries.  Having read biographies of Hudson Taylor, William Carey, Amy Carmichael, etc.  those were all easy for me.  I missed Moody, Spurgeon, Edwards, Whitefield, Muller, Murray, Wesley and Judson.

Page 1 of 4124 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »

Return to blog homepage

Return to Mobile view (headlines)