RECENT COMMENTS

By Fr. Shawn+ on August 25, 2007 at 10:12 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Religious Charges Swarm Around Louisiana Campaign

When will politicians stop villifying one another - a start giving us reasons to vote for them, and not against the opponent? (And when will we stop believing rhetorical slight-of-hand in negative campaigning?)

By AnglicanFirst on August 25, 2007 at 9:45 pm [comment link]
From the entry: George Conger: Did the Dennis Canon pass the 1979 General Convention?

Reply to Ross, #11.
If an episcopal (small ‘e’) church organization is recognized as the sole owner of all properties, parish or otherwise, under it’s episcopal leadership, then why the need for the Dennis Canon?

By Rick D on August 25, 2007 at 9:40 pm [comment link]
From the entry: The Church Times Story on Martyn Minns and Peter Akinola

Re #102, Sherri: not sure if you read my post.  You write:

Wanting to know more about the authorship of a significant policy letter such as Akinola’s is not racist.  It strikes me as due diligence at least to wonder who is pulling the strings,

Rick D, I take it from this that you believe presidential speechwriters have been running the U.S. for decades? It’s the assumption that some white man must be pulling a black archibishop’s strings that strikes one as racist. If the speech had been written on a black bishop’s computer would we be hearing any of this noise?

I mentioned nothing about race, ethnicity, national origin, or the like.  I did point out that your and others’ analogy to speechwriters does not hold, because Minns’ position is not that of speechwriter.  The points in #86 hold regardless of the demographic attributes of either person.

By AnglicanFirst on August 25, 2007 at 9:39 pm [comment link]

Reply to Rick, #10.
I agree with you and I also believe that when Anglicanism within North America has rid itself of the secularly-driven behavior of the revisionists/progressives of ECUSA and the ACofC, that a revived orthodox/traditional Anglicanism will grow, even flourish regardless of whether it’s services are conducted in rented halls or in beautiful churches built to honor and worship Jesus and the Father in the Anglican ‘way.’

By Ross on August 25, 2007 at 9:33 pm [comment link]

#9 AnglicanFirst:

I am neither a civil lawyer nor a canon lawyer, but I think the idea is that the Denis Canon just makes explicit what had always been implicit in the Constitution and Canons of the Episcopal Church.  That is, by this theory, a parish implicitly agreed that it’s real property was held in trust for the national church at the moment it became a parish of the Episcopal Church and assented to its governing rules.

Whether this theory has legal merit, I’m not qualified to judge.

By RickW on August 25, 2007 at 9:29 pm [comment link]

8 Eugene.  I understand that this issue is truly deeper than I suggest in my comment.  My desire is that we don’t let property and endowments become our God.

It was not without much fear and trembling that we took the actions that we did.  It did liberate us when we realized that we could pack up and build another building if necessary and that our mission would not be harmed, set back or impacted in the slightest.

By Rick D on August 25, 2007 at 9:28 pm [comment link]
From the entry: The Church Times Story on Martyn Minns and Peter Akinola

Re #91, jamesw:  I agree with your point that it may have happened that way (Akinola collaborates with Minns—either Minns types or Akinola uses Minns’ computer).  But it’s also true that it may not have happened that way.  It’s an easy thing for either or both of them, or their offices, to put to rest.

By Concerned in Upper SC on August 25, 2007 at 9:24 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Dallas Episcopal parish names rector after long search

Christopher - You offer as a “kind explanation” that Bob Dannals presents himself as a moderate, when he is in fact a conservative, to further his career toward becoming a bishop in TEC. I think that this is exactly what those who know him are saying also (though some question his orthodoxy).  For a priest to sacrifice honesty to further his ambitions for his career is inexcuseable.  This behavior not only reflects on his character, but it also has a great effect of those who look to him for spiritual guidance.

By AnglicanFirst on August 25, 2007 at 9:09 pm [comment link]

I understand that the prohibition on the passing of an “ex posto facto” law is a constraint placed upon government within the U.S.A.

When a parish/congregation has paid for it’s church campus, paid for it’s maintenance and has monies put aside in trust by it’s congregants, how does a diocese or national church presume to assume ownership of the of the physical assets of a parish/congregation?

Does the “ex posto facto” concept have any relevance when applied to the Dennis canon?

If so, why is the Dennis canon relevant and not considered an “ex posto facto” innovation?

By Fr. Shawn+ on August 25, 2007 at 9:09 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Desmond Tutu urges full Lambeth Participation

Library Jim,
I’m sorry if I’ve ever intentionally barred you from worship. Sadly, my faith is that God has given me one perspective on inclusiveness and a very broad understanding of the Christ both in and beyond scriptures. I know that God has given you a faith by which you read and live out your scriptural call. I pray for repentence every day from the sins I commit, and I make my promise to God that I will do better. I can guarantee that what you and I think of as the greatest of sins are most certainly in a different hierarchy. Christians have spent the last two millennia arguing and warring about how holy is holy, not only among themselves but with non-Christians. Still, I am not judgemental enough to hold you accountable for committing what I call sin; nor do I require you to prove to me that your repentance is sincere. I’ll leave that to God. As for me, I love God with my heart/soul/mind/strength, and I love you as I love myself. And in that spirit of reconciliation, I would sit down to the Lord’s Table and share in the Holy Communion.

By Eugene on August 25, 2007 at 8:45 pm [comment link]

RickW:  I think it is an issue.
Some of our churches have endowments which could cover the cost of utilities until TEC sells the buildings to growing non-denominational congregations.  I believe it is the duty of the Vestry to do all within its power to be sure that the property of its parish (bricks. morter, vestments, cash, stocks etc.) not be lost to “others”.  This may mean not leaving the TEC at this time.

By The Anglican Scotist on August 25, 2007 at 8:38 pm [comment link]
From the entry: The Church Times Story on Martyn Minns and Peter Akinola

Jody,
I don’t know, but I’d bet part of Akinola’s conviction stems from a sense of deep personal betrayal.

He might have been counting on help with Nigeria’s deep seated interfaith/political/economic troubles—as he does not seem to see these as artifically separated from the Gospel—and he might have even thought he could develop a close relationship sending evangelists over here to help us out, as some in TEC have “companion dioceses” abroad with ongoing exchanges.

Instead, he got stuck—four years running now—leading the resistance to GC2003 et al of all things. And he has taken big risks.

At one time before 2003, he probably hoped for different things. No doubt he will continue to do what he sees he has to do. Making use of Minns talents—and having this found out—won’t change that.

By Larry Morse on August 25, 2007 at 8:34 pm [comment link]
From the entry: The Church Times Story on Martyn Minns and Peter Akinola

Look at the above and tell me when you have seen less productive debate. LM

By DonGander on August 25, 2007 at 8:30 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Interruption During Megapastors' Divorce Announcement Was Intentional

“I want to apologize for the poor decisions I’ve made in my life, to my congregation and to the body of Christ,” he told The Tampa Tribune. “I think I’ve let a lot of people down.”
^^^^^^^^^^^
Anybody note any signs of repentance here? Anywhere?

This whole thing is so sad for so many reasons. I’m leaving my computer to the screensaver. God help us all.

By The Anglican Scotist on August 25, 2007 at 8:28 pm [comment link]
From the entry: The Church Times Story on Martyn Minns and Peter Akinola

Sure, Howe is not a Separatist; that is besides the point.

The point is he will hold the 98 line—and nothing will move him off it.
If he had similarly minded disciples of Christ at the Bishop level—and he might?—the HoB could, if it were minded to start with a freeze on the GC2003 moves, act with credibility even among members of the GS faction.

Of course, events may have already moved well beyond that point for some in the US who have already crossed the Rubicon.

But for the TEC HoB, that should not matter. Minns, Akinola, et al took a large risk in pre-emptively creating facts on the ground prior to 9/30. TEC’s HoB need not play along and escalate.

By driver8 on August 25, 2007 at 8:23 pm [comment link]
From the entry: George Anne Boyle: Focus on helping God's people

I don’t think there is a ‘social gospel’ (and suggest it is actually a deeply unhelpful conception) but that is a whole other thread. There’s just the Gospel and it includes repentance and prayer and being transformed by grace and worship and feeding the poor and healing the sick and praying for the kingdom - in short, what the church has always been about.

By Larry Morse on August 25, 2007 at 8:18 pm [comment link]
From the entry: A Summer Island Rallies Around Its Aging Chapel

These people are the lasting curse of Maine, the perpetual rich who own vitually all of the islands in Casco Bay. Indeed, they now own most of the shoreline of Maine, so there are many estates now that sell for over 5 million dollars. And they have driven the working waterfront into nonexistence.

I know these islands and people well. Well, these folks need SOMETHING to do with themselves so preserving the church is good. Busy hands are happy hands.

By driver8 on August 25, 2007 at 8:10 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Ralph Webb offers his Thoughts on the Archbishop Peter Akinola Martyn Minns matter

Waging reconciliation, indeed. Wage on, Wayne. Wage on, Garth.

By Jim the Puritan on August 25, 2007 at 8:05 pm [comment link]

Prosperity Gospel trainwreck.

By Shumanbean on August 25, 2007 at 7:52 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Time Magazine: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith

Frederick Beuchner once wrote words to the effect that “...faith is the journey, rather than the destination.”  Maybe it applies here.

By Irenaeus on August 25, 2007 at 7:45 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Religious Charges Swarm Around Louisiana Campaign

Unfortunately, jindalonreligion.com’s link to “Why Catholicism Is Different” does not get you to the key passage of the article: you have to pay the New Oxford Review to see that. http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=1296-jindal

But from what I’ve seen quoted elsewhere, the “depraved Protestants” charge looks baseless and deceptive.

By RickW on August 25, 2007 at 7:19 pm [comment link]

To me this apears to be a non issue and here is why:

Does the existance or non existance of the dennis canon make TECUSA more or less orthodox?  Does the existance or non existance make the CANA / Network people more or less bound to continue on their path?  I would suggest the answer is no.

Now we need to look at Mission.  If I am on a mission blessed by God, then God will provide for that mission (that is my faith and provn many times over).  When someone comes against me and hurts my provision, it does not stop me from fulfilling my mission,  unless I choose to be distracted from my mission.  Only God can keep me from doing what He says to do.

If God is truly blessing TECUSA with its mission, then it should be able to complete it’s mission without taking property from anyone else (orthodox churches wishing to depart).

If orthodox churches wishing to depart are on a mission blessed by God, then they should be able to move ahead with their mission regardless of whether the property moves with them or not.  The property should not be the defining issue, either way, if they are on their mission.

SO in a parish where there is a true remenant wishing to stay in TECUSA, give them the property.  If there is no TECUSA remnant, let them have the property.  Most of these buildings are albatrosses anyway.  My parish voted unanimously, and if there were two or three who wanted to remain as TECUSA, they couldn’t afford to pay the light and heat bill for one day, so what would they do with a 50,000 Sq Foot building, with no clergy, staff, lights or heat.  Even a diocese with its huge budget shortfall couldn’t afford to operate the thing, and with the zoning of the property couldn’t sell it either.

Each side should figure a way to depart in peace, otherwise the baby is going to have trouble in school with only half of its person.

By Br. Michael on August 25, 2007 at 7:15 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Robin Gill: The Anglican Communion is fractured beyond repair, but it could flourish

Sherri, I don’t agree.  One side abandoned Scripture and is trying to justify its actions.

By Jason M. Fitzmaurice on August 25, 2007 at 6:49 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Time Magazine: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith

“Lord, I Believe, Help Thou My Unbelief”
She may have had doubts but she struggled with them and fought on.

By Sherri on August 25, 2007 at 6:16 pm [comment link]
From the entry: The Church Times Story on Martyn Minns and Peter Akinola

By Sherri on August 25, 2007 at 6:09 pm [comment link]

fSorry, I see I’ve been misunderstood - I didn’t mean to say one “side” was being faithful, the other not, though we all have opinions on that, but that the issue lies there, in our different ways of trying to be faithful.

By Br. Michael on August 25, 2007 at 6:07 pm [comment link]
From the entry: George Anne Boyle: Focus on helping God's people

Shebbers, Grace and Peace.  Right on.  The point is Jesus is announcing the Kingdom of God, of which the “Social Gospel”, is a part and not even the main part.  You can do “Social Gospel” without Jesus, but you can’t do Jesus without “Social Gospel.”

By Jim the Puritan on August 25, 2007 at 6:01 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Bishop Christopher Epting: United in Mission

The Duke, no 6.  I think you and I are falling into the traditional Calvinist vs. Arminianist debate, which I believe has no clear answer.  I tend myself to wander back and forth over that theological line, to be frank, and have come to the conclusion the we must simply leave it to God.

I guess my primary concern is that I really have a problem with “cheap grace,” to use the overused phrase, and the old “God is Love” tautology is a big part of that.  So much of modern theology assumes that because Christ died for all, we can just go on our merry way in the world, and anything we do is ok with God and he will continue to forgive us no matter what we do.  But the fact is that God is also holy; while He knows we will continue to stumble, in the end He still has to consider Who is ruling our hearts.

I guess my feeling is, if you knew Someone took the bullet for you, wouldn’t you be eternally grateful and beholden to that Person, and be willing to live your life in gratitude for that?

Without repentance and amendment of your life, what did the sacrifice mean?

By teatime on August 25, 2007 at 5:59 pm [comment link]
From the entry: George Anne Boyle: Focus on helping God's people

She’s right, and the first step should be for parishes to quit funding TEC and use most of that apportionment for helping people in their own communities. I think Jesus would be pleased for the offerings to be used for good works, not lawyers’ fees and lawsuits.

By Sherri on August 25, 2007 at 5:58 pm [comment link]

Assuming the conclusion as your premise usually makes for a short and sweet argument.  I think that most people on both sides of these disputes honestly feel that they are striving to be faithful Christians.

It was a more honest answer to me than saying this all about whether control vs. peace. But maybe that’s where you are.

By plainsheretic on August 25, 2007 at 5:57 pm [comment link]

Since the motions orginated in the House of Bishops once they adopted them and sent them to the House of Deputies and they concurred, there would be no need to send that back to the House of Bishops, as Conger suggest in his article is “missing.”

By Br. Michael on August 25, 2007 at 5:55 pm [comment link]

Well, Susan, God does call same gender sex an abomination.  Sorry you feel offended.

By plainsheretic on August 25, 2007 at 5:54 pm [comment link]

Here is the entry from the journal on the digital archives of the episcopal church (it passed both houses):

Resolution Number: 1979-D024
Title: Amend Canon I.6 [Of Business Methods in Church Affairs] and Canon II.7 [Of Church Property]
Legislative Action Taken: Concurred As Amended
Final Text:

Resolved, That Title I, Canon 6 of the Canons of the Episcopal Church, be amended to add a Section 4 as follows:

Sec. 4. All real and personal property held by or for the benefit of any Parish, Mission or Congregation is held in trust for this Church and the Diocese thereof in which such Parish, Mission on Congregation is located. The existence of this trust, however, shall in no way limit the power and authority of the Parish, Mission or Congregation otherwise existing over such property so long as the particular Parish, Mission or Congregation remains a part of, and subject to, this Church and its Constitution and Canons ; and be it further

Resolved, That Title I, Canon 6 be amended to add a Section 5 as follows:

Sec. 5. The several Dioceses may, at their election, further confirm the trust declared under the foregoing Section 4 by appropriate action, but no such action shall be necessary for the existence and validity of the trust ; and be it further

Resolved, That Title II, Canon 7 be amended to add a new Section 3 as follows:

Sec. 3. Any dedicated and consecrated Church or Chapel shall be subject to the trust declared with respect to real and personal property held by any Parish, Mission, or Congregation, as set forth in Section 4 of Title I, Canon 6 ; and be it further

Resolved, That this resolution shall be effective upon enactment

Citation: General Convention, Journal of the General Convention of…The Episcopal Church, Denver, 1979 (New York: General Convention, 1980), p. D-154.

LEGISLATIVE HISTORY

Author:
Originating House: House of Bishops
Originating Committee: Committee on Canons

House of Bishops

Original Text of Resolution:

(D024)

Resolved, the House of Deputies concurring, That Title I, Canon 6 of the Canons of the Episcopal Church, be amended to add a Section 4 as follows:

Sec. 4. All real and personal property held by or for the benefit of any Parish, Mission or Congregation is held in trust for this Church and the Diocese thereof in which such Parish, Mission on Congregation is located. The existence of this trust, however, shall in no way limit the power and authority of the Parish, Mission or Congregation otherwise existing over such property so long as the particular Parish, Mission or Congregation remains a part of, and subject to, this Church and its Constitution and Canons; and be it further

Resolved, That Title I, Canon 6 be amended to add a Section 5 as follows:

Sec. 5. The several Dioceses may, at their election, further confirm the trust declared under the foregoing Section 4 by appropriate action, but no such action shall be necessary for the existence and validity of the trust; and be it further

Resolved, That Title II, Canon 7 be amended by adding a new Section 3, reading as follows:

Sec. 3. Any dedicated and consecrated Church or Chapel shall be subject to the trust declared with respect to real and personal property held by any Parish, Mission, or Congregation, as set forth in Section 4 of Title I, Canon 6.

The Bishop of Kentucky moved that the Resolution be amended to make the Resolution effective upon enactment.

The motion was seconded by the Bishop of Arizona.

Motion carried

Resolution adopted with amendment

(Communicated to the House of Deputies in HB Messages # 75 & 76)

House of Deputies

The Committee on Canons presented its Report #32 on Resolution D-24, and recommended concurrence with House of Bishops Messages #75 and #76.

Motion carried

The House concurred

Resolution Concurred by Both Houses, September 19.

Abstract: The 66th General Convention amends Canons Title I.6 and Title II.7 to declare that all real and personal property held by or for the benefit of any congregation is held in trust for this Church and the Diocese in which it is located.
Notes: Resolution 1979-D024 was presented and considered in two parts in the orginating House. The first two resolve clauses were adopted and sent to the House of Deputies as HB Message #76, and the third resolve clause was adopted separately and sent to the House of Deputies as HB Message #75.

By Nikolaus on August 25, 2007 at 5:50 pm [comment link]

Given her scrupulous attention to detail, I’m absolutely certain that the Presiding Bishop will want to nullify the canon and call for a new vote.

By Br. Michael on August 25, 2007 at 5:47 pm [comment link]

Well it does seem that the 1979 Journal, which is the official record, should clear this up.  Maybe someone who has access to the official Journal and records can confirm that the Dennis Cannon, resolution D-24, properly passed both Houses?

By Philip Snyder on August 25, 2007 at 5:39 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Time Magazine: Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith

All of us should pray for the grace to continue in our calling when all emotional highs and all evidence of God’s love are lost and all we can depend on is His grace.

Mother Theresa’s life is a triumph of Faith.  It is an unqualified “Yes!” to God and to spread His word and His love.  Her faith did not depend on “spiritual highs” or emotional reaffirmation or a warm feeling from Jesus.  Her faith was that God is with her, even with all evidence lacking.  She had the assurance of things not seen.

YBIC,
Phil Snyder

By libraryjim on August 25, 2007 at 5:22 pm [comment link]
From the entry: America's Most Innovative Churches of 2008

There is coming in humbleness (prayer of humble access?) and coming in arrogance:
Lord I thank you that I am not like this publican!
vs.
Lord have mercy on me a sinner!

Both came to the temple, only one went away blessed.

attitude makes all the difference.  And the order does make a difference, too.  There is actually nothing wrong with many of the “Jesus and Me” or “Jesus is my boyfriend” songs—if done at church camp.  But not in worship at service. then it should be God first, us last, with the focus on GOD not US.

There is one that starts:

I love you lord, and I lift my heart
to worship you - oh my soul - rejoice!
Take joy my king, in what you hear
let it be a sweet, sweet song in your ear.

Do you hear the difference in the lyrics? Even though it’s filled with “I”, the focus is on GOD.

By Harvey on August 25, 2007 at 5:16 pm [comment link]

Forgive my sarcasm, but is this a case of whose ox is being gored?

By Brian of Maryland on August 25, 2007 at 5:16 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Drop Foreseen in Median Price of U.S. Homes

I haven’t seen a condo in our community go for anything under the high 300s in months.  Sounds like your kids know where to live!

MD Brian

By libraryjim on August 25, 2007 at 5:14 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Desmond Tutu urges full Lambeth Participation

Fr. Shawn,
I agree with midwest.  When we see those in authority in TEC who are publically denying the Christ of the Scriptures and ignore the mission of spreading the Gospel in favor of “inclusion” and then who persecute those who try to follow Jesus’ teachings fall on their knees seeking repentance, I will be happy to worship with them again.

By Alice Linsley on August 25, 2007 at 5:13 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Notable and Quotable

Lamech was not the first to have 2 wives, as the kinship pattern of chiefs among Abraham’s people involved 2 wives in separate household on a north-south axis. However, Lamech is the first where that pattern is made explicit.  His case is especially interesting, enough that the biblical writers include a good deal about him.  For more on this read about Lamech at Just Genesis.  Click on the link below.

By Harvey on August 25, 2007 at 5:13 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Drop Foreseen in Median Price of U.S. Homes

In this area where I live I see more rehab than purchase of new homes when the prices became so out of line (high).  I have seen new contstruction start 2 or more years ago and people just didn’t buy.  For example I saw the price of a new condo drop from 159K to 149K in less than a year ago ( roughly 6.0 % or more. )  Our children saved a bundle when this happened.

By libraryjim on August 25, 2007 at 5:10 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Notable and Quotable

Compare:
I deserve good things. I am entitled to my share of happiness. I refuse to beat myself up. I am attractive person. I am fun to be with. (poor grammar, too!)

with
“Lord be merciful to me, a sinner!”

Which statement did Jesus say will be heard by God and find His favor?

By Revamundo on August 25, 2007 at 5:09 pm [comment link]
From the entry: New rector in Idaho balances congregation with charm

The scriptures are relevant to every culture. They do not need updating, correcting, or revisioning. On the contrary, what needs revisioning is our understanding and obedience to God’s word as we live out His mission in context. When we live humbly and intend justice for all, we will be salt and light in contemporary culture—a biblically-faithful, culturally-relevant, counter culture.

By libraryjim on August 25, 2007 at 5:05 pm [comment link]
From the entry: George Anne Boyle: Focus on helping God's people

Bob,
nothing wrong as far as it goes, but the bumper sticker needs to read as the archbishop quoted above stated:

Back to basics: Love God, preach the Gospel, take care of your people, feed and clothe the needy.

I’d buy one if someone printed that and I could buy it locally (not online).  (“take care of your people” might need a little work, maybe “take care of your family”???)

By Shumanbean on August 25, 2007 at 4:59 pm [comment link]

The irony in all this is that far too often, we think we’re innocent of hurtful or graceless language. Recently a reappraising priest from my reappraising diocese was preparing to move to a diocese that, for all intents, is a reasserting diocese…I hope I have all these terms correct…she’s a liberal and they’re conservatives. She expressed a concern, most likely valid, that she wouldn’t be able to safely speak her mind in church councils, and then she expressed the regret that her new diocese wouldn’t be a safe place for everyone, liberal or conservative, to express their feelings…unlike the one she was leaving. I had to laugh, and pointed out for her that when conservatives in this diocese do speak their minds, or attempt some sort of activism, the response to them is overwhelmingly negative, and usually quite insulting and embarassing, but that as long as we kept quiet, we were treated with a great deal of grace…mixed with a bit of mistrust.  I assured her that the conservatives in that diocese would likely be as graceful to her as the liberals in this diocese are to conservatives…

By freihofercook on August 25, 2007 at 4:54 pm [comment link]
From the entry: The Church Times Story on Martyn Minns and Peter Akinola

#99 shows his typical ignorance of life among reasserters in suggesting John Howe fits the bill he speaks of.  He does no such thing but is sadly increasingly mistrusted by traditionalists, even within his own diocese.

By TonyinCNY on August 25, 2007 at 4:37 pm [comment link]
From the entry: George Anne Boyle: Focus on helping God's people

Hey, Bob, the “social gospel” was part of what Jesus did.  Don’t be a reductionist.

By TonyinCNY on August 25, 2007 at 4:33 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Summerville high School Football from noon onwards on ESPN

The few minutes I watched of it suggest that Summerville is overmatched, but it is nice to be on ESPN.

By ChristopherLambart on August 25, 2007 at 4:27 pm [comment link]
From the entry: Dallas Episcopal parish names rector after long search

I wonder if some people may be misinterpreting Father Dannals somewhat.

Everything I have heard of him in the diocese indicates that he is a conservative priest.

But he has been in several bishop search processes I think over the years, and it will be necessary for him to establish some sort of appearance of being a moderate, which in the Episcopal church is left of center from other churches, or, pretty much left of center from America as a whole.

It does not seem to me that he can afford to seem as if he is conservative if he is to be a bishop in the church and clearly this is his calling.

So to me, this is a rational and kind explanation for his actions.

In our own cathedral—though not as conservative as Father Dannals—the dean will need to do the same thing, and seems to be taking that tack too. [I am not saying that the dean is conservative, as I believe that Father Dannals is.]

I offer this as just an idea that may help explain things.

Bull Street, I think you must be just down the road from my workplace.

Page 3758 of 4115 pages « First  <  3756 3757 3758 3759 3760 >  Last »

Return to blog homepage

Return to Mobile view (headlines)